Wednesday, November 19, 2008

SOC101 Reflective Writings #52

RW #52 – Is it easy to find a job that is in sync with one’s values? What job/career do you aspire to? What factors do you think contribute to job satisfaction? Do you think you will have job satisfaction in your chosen job/career? Do you think you will experience value contradictions in your chosen job/career?

Finding a job that is in sync with my values is not easy but it is possible. The best way I can do this is to be an Entrepreneur and thereby create a job that reflects my core values. The main value that is focused on here, is to not have to work for someone else. That is so important to me. For five years I ran a glass art business. This is where I discovered that I did have career values, and for the most part realized what they were. I also learned that in order to be a much more successful business owner; I should go to school and pursue a business degree. I am looking forward owning and managing a green construction, residential and commercial building company. I really believe that being a part of an environmentally conscious company like this would really contribute to personal job satisfaction. Green construction is not the easiest or cheapest way to build, so I think there will be many value contradictions along the way. But as long as I stick to my core values, the obstacles along the way will only help to make my company stronger and greener.

No comments: