Friday, June 6, 2008

A tribute to BEE-BOP

Creating is my passion. Heavenly Father has blessed me with many talents, as well as the desire to create. For this I am grateful. Art is just part of who I am. It rests somewhere deep within my soul from time to time. There are also times when it boils over, and all I want to do is be creative. Right now I am applying most of this creative energy into painting and networking with other artists; who are passionate about there work also. I have only been painting for a short time. I have always wanted to paint. I took art classes in high school and knew that making art was part of who I am. My grandfather Karl Baumann, was a very well known artist in San Francisco in the last half 0f the 1900's. All he did was paint, teach art, walk through Golden Gate Park, visit the aquarium, and raised his family. He painted a lot. I grew up admiring his art. Everyone in my family has many of his paintings. To us they are priceless. His art is of a style all to its own. I see many different influences in his work. And he has definitely influenced my art. When I was very young he spent time painting with me. during the few times we visited San Francisco. While traveling across country in a Station Wagon.(those trips across this great country from South Carolina to San Francisco and back is a whole blog in itself)
My grandfather taught me how to create organic shapes by drawing many smaller geometric shapes. In a way these lessons have shaped my life. At least my artistic side. Much more I am Sure. I recently read an article in a magazine devoted to California artists where BEE-BOP (what we call our grandfather) shared how he viewed the pictures he painted. He described his work as "his love for nature, and the conflict of mans impact on nature." What a profound statement. What an awesome ideal to attempt through painting. He loved Nature. He took my mother and her siblings on walks through Golden Gate Park countless times. He was very fond of his garden and house plants. He also tended to his room full of fish tanks over fifty of them at one time. Bee-bop was born in Germany between the World Wars. He was able to come to America to live with his father as the onslaught of World War 2 was beginning. He started drawing with colored pencils as a child in Germany. He would draw pictures of landscapes and nature, for his grandparents. He lived with them for some time, up into his youth.
As an artist in San Francisco he painted with mostly oils and water colors. He also did pencil drawings. He painted on many different surfaces. Canvas was expensive so he painted a lot on board. He also would make and paint frames for his paintings, out of an assortment of random types of wood materials. He painted a lot of different things. He mostly painted landscapes, still life's, and abstracts. He used a lot of geometric shapes with heavy dark outlines. His use of vivid color expression is probably what stands out most about his work. His use of color is is amazing, which is something I wish to learn, and attempt to emulate.

No comments: